Government Submissions - 2012
Canada Foundation for Innovation...A Sustainable Plan from Strategy to Prosperity: A Submission to the CFI Strategy Consultation 2012
In this submission you will find a series of recommendations that have been generated largely by the Vice-Presidents of Health Research from across the country’s academic healthcare organizations (research hospitals, academic RHA, and their research institutes). The recommendations address a number of issues that range from:
- Maintaining and strengthening the focus not only on Return-on-Investment, but also on improvements in productivity and identifying the next generation spin-off/start-up benefits through business analysis;
- More clearly articulating the strategic relationship between CFI with the Tri-Council granting agencies as well as with Genome Canada;
- Considering important developments in Canadian Institutes of Health Research’s Strategy on Patient-Oriented Research (SPOR), which is strongly supported by the health research communities;
- Ensuring that organizations remain a focus of CFI’s strategic activities so that organizational strategy can be leveraged; clusters of talent can be formed; and importantly, so that we can effectively cover operations, maintenance and indirect costs instead of spreading resources too thinly; and
- Considering the overlapping implications of the Review of Federal Support to Research and Development (i.e. Jenkins Panel Report)5 and the Coalition for Action on Innovation in Canada (i.e. Manley Report)6 and participating in advocacy for a stronger health research ecosystem.