ACAHO - Alliances & Partnerships
In addition to the specific work of ACAHO, the Association has entered into a number of (issue-specific, and in some cases, time limited) alliances and partnerships. These relationships allow the Association to work collaboratively with other organizations that are focused on similar (if not identical) national policy issues. They are divided into two categories:
Health System Renewal
- Health Action Lobby (ongoing): HEAL is a coalition of 30 national health and consumer associations and organizations dedicated to protecting and strengthening Canada's health care system. It represents more than half a million providers and consumers of health care. As of June 2009, The Association of Canadian Academic Healthcare Organizations has assumed the secretariat of HEAL. Mr. Brimacombe currently serves as co-chair of HEAL
- National Task Force on the Future of Canada's Academic Health Sciences Centres (2007): ACAHO has taken the lead to develop a proposal to create a National Task Force to review the mission and mandate, as well as roles and responsibilities of Canada’s Academic Health Sciences Centres in the 21st Century.
- Canadian Medical Forum (ongoing): ACAHO is a member of the Canadian Medical Forum, which is comprised of nine national medical organizations. The Forum meets twice a year to discuss issues of common interest/concern.
- “Taming of the Queue” Colloquium Series (ongoing): ACAHO is a founding sponsor and member of the steering committee for this series of conferences focused on wait time measurement, monitoring and management.
- Canadian Health Leadership Network (ongoing): A coalition of emerging and senior leaders with a shared commitment to leadership - looks to address the imminent leadership shortage by focusing on the lifecycle of leadership, specifically leadership development and succession planning for a broad cross-section of the health community in Canada.
- Quality Work Life, Quality Healthcare Collaborative (ongoing): ACAHO is a founding member of the QWL-QHC, a national coalition whose mandate is to build a foundation of excellence in healthcare work environments and health human resources practices. Coalition for Public Health in the 21st Century (ongoing): ACAHO is a member of the coalition which focuses on the national policy issues related to public health in Canada.
Health Research, Innovation and Commercialization Enterprise
- Canadian Health Industries Partnership (CHIP) supported by The Conference Board of Canada's Centre for the Advancement of Health Innovation (CAHI) (ongoing): The intention of the proposed multi-stakeholder partnership is to provide an appropriate forum to enable government ministers and leaders of the sector to collaborate in exchanging perspectives, discussing and developing recommended strategy directions and policy suggestions on industrial health innovation.
- Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (ongoing): Recognizes individuals of great accomplishment and achievement in the academic health sciences in Canada. The Academy provides timely, informed and unbiased assessments of urgent issues affecting the health of Canadians.